New Formula Finds Higher Rate of Elderly Living in Poverty

Thursday, March 04, 2010

The federal government is thinking about implementing a new formula to calculate poverty. The new formula would increase the number of poor from 13.2 percent to 15.8 percent. The striking change comes among the elderly, where under the new measure, 18.7 percent of people 65-years-old and over are under the poverty line. That's 7.1 million Americans and an increase from 9.7 percent.

To help us decipher this new formula and what it could mean is New York Times reporter, Sam Roberts, who says that this new formula is modeled after something very similar to what New York City has been using since 2006. Also joining us is, Delores Miller, who is 74 years old, and lost her same-sex partner three years ago, and now faces eviction from her apartment and could find herself homeless very soon.

UPDATED: We've put the commenters below in touch with SAGE, the organization who originally got us in touch with Delores.

Delores Miller and Sam Roberts

David J Fazekas

Danielle from Florida

Delores can live with me and my family.

Mar. 08 2010 10:48 AM
Robert Bach

Well the most significant way to help, after of course giving coins, would be to change the discriminating laws that created the situation, equality for lgbt folks, NOW

Mar. 04 2010 08:07 PM
Karen Brown from Brooklyn

I'm not so sure about why Delores's story about her impending eviction, due to succession rights and NYC housing law, is in any way predicated by the new calculations for poverty assessment. I am horrified that she does not have succession rights as a long term domestic partner in NY city housing law, and would want to bring light to that issue, but don't get how her situation is dependent on the new poverty assessments. I feel heart sorry for her plight, that she is alone, and that there is no institutional port in the storm for her . Maybe you can clarify why her situation is predicated by these new poverty assessment guidelines. In any case, I would like to personally reach out to Delores and offer some coins and comfort.

Mar. 04 2010 09:59 AM
Lady from Bronx

Same here. Please let us know how we can help Ms. Miller.

Mar. 04 2010 09:59 AM
Mray from Boroklyn

I have the same question as Jill:

Is there a way for listeners to help out Ms. Miller? Her story really touched me. I'd like to contribute to help her stay in her home.

I wish that information could be available when people's lives are told in such stark dire ways.

Thank you.