An Argument Against the Diversity Visa Lottery Program

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

About two weeks from now, the State Department will randomly draw 50,000 names from the fifteen million entries for U.S. visas, as part of the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. The Diversity Visa program garnered attention recently, after news that a computer glitch invalidated a drawing in early May, obligating the State Department to nullify 22,000 visas it had previously awarded.

On Monday, we spoke with Jalal El Mir, a 30-year-old middle school English teacher from Morocco who was one of the 22,000 whose visa was invalidated. Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte, who represents Virginia's sixth district, speaks with us today. Goodlatte wants to end the Diversity Visa Program.

Bob Goodlatte

Tim Einenkel

Andrew Johnson from Arizona

This is only for Kathy from Miami , FL
For more than 300 years that United State has been formed, we never and ever could get the rid of the rednecks and none human people like you in this country. As long as this country contained the trashes like you , we never improve or be able to raise our kids as a human, Your parents and grand parents came to this country who knows from what prison or stable or from what country but they were able to raise you and other rednecks and trashes like you . Of course if you know who your father was

Oct. 11 2013 09:03 AM
Kathy from Miami, FL

Get rid of the Visa Lottery program!
Not only that, but the US needs to stop ALL IMMIGRATION for at least the next 10 years.
We have too many foreigners here!

Jul. 06 2011 08:31 PM
Humayun kabir patwary from bangladesh

i am hard worker.

Jul. 06 2011 11:20 AM
Julien from India

@ Mr Raj, I am not Indian, I am African and working as software testing engineer in India. I know what is unit testing, integration testing, system testing and user acceptance testing. Before the Department of State software goes live, it should go through all these stages...if they fail to do it, we winners should not be victims.

Jul. 02 2011 03:07 AM
Ashley from Detroit

one of my friends is also hurt by this fiasco...we should all unite and support their page via http://www.facebook.com/dvlottery

Jun. 30 2011 09:36 PM
Kam from LA

@anna demidchik

You're not alone. I "just" want a bank account with $100M in it, a pair of black and red Lamborghini cars and a decent mansion on Beverly hills; sorry no time or motivations to become a surgeon, lawyer or professor; studying @ the MIT or Harvard is a pain in the neck.

Jun. 30 2011 07:03 PM
Kam from LA

I'm surprised by seeing the folks that try not to comprehend the foundation of that fault which had been resulted in their winning.

Boys, early in the morning you notice that all of a sudden you have a sum of unexpected $10M in your bank account; you buy an island, 2 Ferraris, a boat and book a super luxurious junket; by 12PM you're informed that it was a computer glitch. Could someone tell me why in the world you want to sue the bank?

There is no doubt that the diversity visa is the most stupid thing I've ever heard of (I personally know the best foreign engineers with years of US work experience in danger of deportation); now imagine you're out there blindly choosing probably illiterate, low-skilled folks and putting them on our already messed up taxes!!! re-do the drawing this year and cancel the entire program in favor of those waiting in the long long lines; those who've been serving the nation for so many years with the highest academic degrees.

Jun. 30 2011 03:23 PM
Kam from LA

Jun. 30 2011 03:20 PM
anna demidchik from NY

A BA in History and Oriental Studies. Fluent in English, Russian and Mandarin. J.D. in 2012.
Perfectly employable in the U.S. Only want a green card now through the lottery because employment-based immigration is a pain in the neck.

Jun. 30 2011 12:58 PM
anna from NYC

I always find it weird that people complain about low-skilled immigrants while 80% of immigration into the U.S. is family-based and has NO skills requirement whatsoever. To make matters worse, nobody actually checks, apart from immigration through marriage, if the people coming in on family reunification petition are actually close to the U.S. citizens. The lottery brings in only 4% of the immigrants. Why not deal with the things that are really causing problems due to their weight in the immigration system?

Jun. 30 2011 12:47 PM
Raj from Los Angeles

@Julien from India. India has no DV quota. Indian citizens are not allowed to participate in DV visa. So your claim that you are an indian is wrong.

Jun. 30 2011 11:56 AM
R. Lawson from Florida

The DV lotter is a cop-out. It basically says that "we don't want to think about who we allow to immigrate - we just want to pull from a hat and see where the chips fall".

I believe we should end the diversity visa and roll the 50,000 allotment into family reunification for immediate family members of current permanent residents and citizens.

Jun. 30 2011 09:32 AM
ashdar from Egypt

Dear senator,
Im physical therapist and you know that this profession is needed and there is planes to compansate this need so one of this planes bp DV lottery and in the paper process they asked me to type my proffession and prove that I have 2years of experience in last 5years so usa adminstration has rules in choosing the winners Thanks

Jun. 30 2011 09:05 AM
Jalal El Mir from Jalal El Mir; Morocco

I hold a BA degree in the English Language and Literature. I attdended 2 years of MA classes. I also have a degree in Language Teaching and Pedagogy. I taught English for more than two years. So Mr.Goodlatte, do you still think that the Diversity Visa Lottery "lures" uneducated and unskilled people?

Jun. 30 2011 07:47 AM
Vanesa

I have a 5-years degree in Linguistics, some doctoral courses and more than 6 years of teaching experience.

Jun. 30 2011 06:28 AM
Vanesa

Jun. 30 2011 06:25 AM
Julien from India

Mr congressman, i am sorry to say that your completely wrong by doubting of our skills. I have my degree and working software testing engineer in IT company in India and I am DV-2012 winner. Those to whom your country USA is granting H1B visa or green card are not better than me.
Talking about family reunification, i am sure those families migrated to US in a past...then who sponsored the first members of those families to migrate to the US??
So stop talking about our skills, family reunification and find something better to say.

Jun. 30 2011 12:40 AM
armande

Dear Senator,

I am a licensed psychologist with a PhD educated and trained in this country: would you still say I have no skills/ so training in the US is useless?

Jun. 29 2011 09:16 PM
ash dar from Egypt

USA must fix this mess and passing the winners the frist step to regain the shap of the ordinary image of its adminstrations .We know that USA is the land of diversity so we expect an immediate respect solve process because we trust in minds of americans people. Thanks

Jun. 29 2011 09:12 PM
SMAIL ANEZZI

You are wrong Mr Goodlatte because when selected among the winners for green card you ought to show that you hold high school diploma or a job that requires at least 2 years experience within the 5th last years so how do you think that everybody can just participate then afterwards win that green card???

Jun. 29 2011 09:03 PM
hicham farouk from Meknes Morocco

i want to say just,we need help,we need hope,we want our visa,plz

Jun. 29 2011 07:38 PM
nador from Egypt

I want to say just a simple word ,, in 1 may 2011 we open Site random immigration and We found our names suggests that we
among of the Immigration of Randomness it was very happy for us I was waiting this joy
... But we were shocked when it was canceled by Dos and the new result will be more shock for all of us if they people 22,000 found themself in 15 july has not been selected . it's will be really so hard and more painful for our feelings................. I hope we reselected again please...I hope you can hear us please we are a human being... we trust in justice of heaven ...God bless America. God bless all of you

Jun. 29 2011 07:27 PM
mohamed toham

that is not fair for us ( 22.000 )
i can't belief what this man said without be sure
and by the Statistics it is Proved the immigrant from lottery they are high Mentally
and they are a hard workers and give the american society the big Benefit
with Difference with the illegal immigrant
and if the us gov saw that is not any profit from that program maybe the us gov going to cancel it at all and give us our self comfort from this pressure
i am a lawyer in my country and i love my country
but i want to go to the U.S.A and make my dreams
by complement my education in the freedom and Opportunities country the U.S.A
if you were i am you will feel how it is so bad
to win a ((( lottery ))) and lost it after a 13 days
your opinion it is mean's you
not the U.S.A

Jun. 29 2011 06:22 PM
zoomamero

Everyone should remember that the reason for canceling the results was the State Department’s mishandling of the 2012 Diversity Visa Lottery(or in other words, the failure of DOS to run such a lottery ) and not because the applicants were not qualified .

Jun. 29 2011 06:01 PM
Brian from NY, NY

Contrary to what Congressman Goodlatte states, there are in fact education and work experience requirements necessary for applicants to participate in the DV lottery.

The aim of this immigration program is to promote diversity which is beneficial to society in many ways not only in terms of economic outcomes.

Jun. 29 2011 05:55 PM
zoomamero

Does it mean that what happened is the initial plane from the congress to end the lottery ??????

Jun. 29 2011 05:53 PM
Kwame

I think, Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte, is wrong to make such a general statement about the Diversity Visa Program applicants. I am an applicant and a law student in the U.S. I also personally applied for a friend who is in Harvard Medical School.

Jun. 29 2011 05:42 PM
Jalal El Mir from Mokrissat-Chefchaouen, Morocco

It has been difficult for me to hear this podcast more than once. I think Congressman Goodlatte, with all due respect, has been wrong in saying that most, if not all, people who come through the Diversity Program are uneducated or lacking job skills. I think Mr.Goodlatte is well aware that among the 2012 Diversity Visa winners there are engineers, doctors, PhD candidates, students, teachers and so on.

Jun. 29 2011 03:30 PM