Your Take on the Super Bowl

Friday, February 05, 2010 - 01:48 PM

We're looking for your takeaways from Sunday night's big ball game. What got you talking during the Super Bowl? A key play? A clever (or really bad) commercial? Your food spread? The half-time show? Call us with your post-game impressions at 877-8-MYTAKE or post a comment here.

Tags:

More in:

Celeste! You go girl! Way to play Cajun Smackdown!

Feb. 08 2010 12:26 PM

Rebecca, thanks for the comment. I pronounce the name of the Big Easy as my very close friends do, who were born and raised there. There are a number of ways to pronounce New Orleans, and here's an excerpt from The Gumbo Pages:

NEW ORLEENS – (two syllables) The way silly tourists pronounce “New Orleans”. Natives do not do this. Exception — song lyrics, as in “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans”, for example, and when omitting the “New”, as in “Orleans Parish”, which is always pronounced . Confusing, isn’t it? More on this below.

First off, is generally a no-no. It’s like putting a big, red neon sign on your head that says, “I’m not from around here.” As also mentioned above, the two main exceptions are when it’s pronounced like that in song lyrics (easier to rhyme, but contributes to the confusion of non-natives) and when “Orleans” stands alone without the “New”, as in Orleans Parish.

Here are the major standard local pronunciations of the City’s name: , , , . The fabled “N’Awlins”, pronounced , is used by some natives for amusement, and by some non-natives who think they’re being hip, but actually I’ve come across very few locals who actually pronounce the name of the City in this way.

Ben Fortson, an Uptown boy, adds, “There are also versions without the final -s, as in Fats Domino’s “walkin’ to Noo Awlin”. The s-lessness is presumably from the French. Also, “Noo Awyuns”, with a -y- instead of an -l-, is pretty common in my experience, and kind of interesting from a linguistic point of view. By the way, the shorter versions like Nawlins and Nawlns that you say aren’t used much by locals have in fact been used at least by me all my life, for what that’s worth. Maybe Uptown is diff’rint.” (Yeah, it is, bra … it’s where dey got all dem shoits wid da lil’ gators on ‘em, and everyone has 59 rows o’ teeth!)

Feb. 08 2010 09:02 AM
Walter from Detroit

The game was great but some of the commercials were a little lame and I wish they would get some more entertainment at half time. You know lately all they've doing is having those old time rockers on there. So that's my take on the game.

Feb. 08 2010 08:35 AM
Rebecca from Detroit MI (formerly of New Orleans)

Can someone please tell Celeste Hedley how to pronounce New Orleans? the "Orleans" part has TWO syllables, like "Orlins" NOT THREE syllables (she is saying "Or-le-ons" over and over). Making me crazy!

This isn't just a native speaker thing, this is really how you pronounce the city's name...

Feb. 08 2010 08:17 AM

I was kind of surprised to see Abe Vigoda playing guitar for The Who. He was pretty good actually.

Feb. 08 2010 08:15 AM