Helping Unemployed Friends

Monday, February 01, 2010 - 12:49 PM

We're talking about how friends and family can help people who are unemployed. How are you helping friends who have lost their jobs? If you are unemployed, what kind of help do you need?

Tags:

More in:

wayne from far away

Just see if they need a hand with anything. These are tough times and if you have the resources I think you should do your part to show some generosity to those in need. If the person is not computer literate you could offer to search for jobs online for them and print out a list. Just show them that you care <a href="http://www.prlog.org/10268926-trueprotein-discount-bnt602-10-discount-code-trueproteincom.html">true protein</a>.

Jul. 28 2010 04:35 AM
americasunemployed.blogspot.com

If you are unemployed you should be visiting Americasunemployed.blogspot.com.

Your Feedback is very important to us.

Apr. 09 2010 08:40 PM
Cat from Los Angeles

* don't become a second parent: I'm highly-educated, have found many jobs before, and contrary to your belief, am looking! It's just a crappy economy.

* when they send you their resume, don't 'grade' it/reply with things -you- think need 'fixing'. Forward it on like you promised.

* just because you're overworked, don't project a "Gee, I wish -I- had time off..." guilt trip. Be greatful for what you have with a job: my retirement is GONE, I have NO health insurance, am living week-to-week in an inn, and it will take years to re-establish my credit rating (not to mention that when an opportunity does come through, the credit check may bar me from getting a job, which has nothing to do with my qualifications/skills to -do- a job...).

* laugh, do something fun with unemployed friends, to temporarily escape/take their mind off their situations

* talk to them about their strengths and encourage them to go another direction and create a new path

* remember why you became friends in the first place and do things that take you back to good times you shared with them

* listen to their stories; it's def. character building

* look into positions in your company for them - you usually get a referral payout anyway

* connect them with people you know/make others that you know aware that you know someone's looking (+ they can get a referral payout!); it's who you know that gets you jobs + your friend group expands

Feb. 28 2010 04:53 PM
Chantal from California

Don't drop your unemployed friends. It's isolating enough not having a job to go to every day, it's hurtful when friends stop inviting us over or to do things with them just because our situation makes them uncomfortable.

Feb. 11 2010 12:49 PM
Danielle from Gainesville Florida

All my friends are graduating from college and are not able to find the dream jobs they took out all those loans for. I went directly into the job force and have been at my steady office job for several years now. As unlikely as it is I'm the one with the steady paychecks. I help my friends by cooking communal dinners with everyone. We laugh, talk, and cook together. It's great because we get to spend time together, they get to eat and no one feels uncomfortable that I'm footing the bill.

Feb. 02 2010 10:02 AM
Jon from NYC

I've been unemployed so long that I can tell you exactly what I could use help with: split a month's rent.

Feb. 02 2010 09:07 AM
Selina from Upper west side Manhattan

Giving gift certificates for things like groceries that no one can live without. Lasts longer than a forlorn glance or a million "I'm sorry"s. More useful too.

Feb. 02 2010 09:01 AM
Jeff Hammel from New York, NY

I completely agree with Erica. I'm unemployed for the first time in my life and while some of my friends have been respectful, other friends and family have taken the opportunity to act like mother hens, asking, "Have you done soandso yet?" over and over again. While their asking is (I hope) good intentioned, it is aggravating and disheartening instead of helpful.

I think the best thing friends and family can do to the unemployed is give us some space. Its human nature to want to look for news and to want to "mother" those one loves, but think before you speak. Those "helpful" hints often sound more like discouraging nagging. If you want to be helpful, do something nice for the person, not just being a vocal TODO list.

Feb. 02 2010 08:04 AM
Erica from Springfield, MA

I've been semi-employed for months and have been trying to find a full-time job. One thing my employed friends constantly ask me that is not helpful at all is "have you heard anything about that job?" And it tends to be with a solicitous, anxious tone of voice that makes the question sting even worse. When I get a job, I'll let you know, okay?

My fellow job seekers tend to ask "how's it going?" or other general questions that allow one not to address the fact of the ongoing rejection and failure in job search. And if we do talk about it, at least we can commiserate together or congratulate those lucky few (no one I know so far) who has found a job.

Stop workers of the world -- cut us some slack! Stop asking if we've heard about the million and one jobs that we and the other 10% of the population have applied for. I guarantee that when (if... when..?) I get a job, I will tell everyone I know.

Feb. 02 2010 07:07 AM