Air Supply on What Makes a Great Love Song

Monday, February 14, 2011

On Valentine’s Day, we’re going to be joined by the high priests of the top forty love song: Air Supply, also known as Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock. Their mission: to help Takeaway listeners with their love song conundrums. Whether it’s the best song for getting over a breakup or the best song for saying “I love you,” Graham and Russell have plenty of wisdom to share. Tell us: what love song do you love (or hate) the most?

Russell Hitchcock and Graham Russell

Kristen Meinzer

at least tied for the best, another Beatles song, IN MY LIFE

Feb. 14 2011 11:54 AM
Allison from Manhattan

I absolutely detest any and all love songs by Air Supply -- no joke!

Feb. 14 2011 10:55 AM
LUCY from London

'I wanna be loved with inspiration' - Dinah Washington or 'Islands in the Stream' - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers.

Feb. 14 2011 10:24 AM
home building from Wichita, KS

I nominate "Treat Her RIGHT!" by Roy Head
This song deserves resurrection--it was initially overshadowed by the Beatles. It's a rockin' song--part Jerry Lee Lewis and part Buddy Holly--with clear black blues overtones--ALL in just two minutes. Hey, hey, hey, hey ! !

Feb. 14 2011 10:19 AM
Maurice from Westchester, NY

For an ultimate love song, how can you do better than "One Hand, One Heart" from West Side Story? The ultimate in beauty and simplicity! And, by the way, it does mention death, in a way that makes it poignantly more romantic and not less so.
It is often used at weddings. As far as masters of love songs, how about Lionel Richie and Luther Vandross?

Feb. 14 2011 10:15 AM
Emmitt January from Nashville TN

Beatles "The Long & Winding Road" has always been my favorite - especially the new version from "Let It Be Naked" where the lyric is subtly changed to "anyway you've ALWAYS known the many ways I've tried." The song is about a lifetime of longing for that one true love.

Feb. 14 2011 09:47 AM
Kristen H. from Coral Gables, FL

Oh and Lenny Williams "Cause I Love You". What a beautiful classic!

Feb. 14 2011 09:42 AM
Kristen H. from Coral Gables, FL

I love Jesse Powell's "You" and Rick James and Teena Marie's "Fire and Desire." Please at least mention that one in honor of Teena Marie's life and beautiful musical legacy. For a trying to get back together song, definitely the new Kenny G with Robin Thicke "Fall Again". It's absolutely beautiful and anyone who says no to that...wow! Another good get back together song is Brian McKnight's "Anytime."

Feb. 14 2011 09:39 AM
Theresa from Brooklyn

It's irritating to me that humanity has existed for hundreds of thousands of years, and love songs, probably for at least that long, but hardly anybody has mentioned a song written before 1965.

Feb. 14 2011 09:29 AM
Becca from Columbia, SC

My favorite love song is "Harvest Moon" by Neil Young. It was our "first dance" at our wedding.

Feb. 14 2011 09:27 AM
LeRoy Bostic from Detroit

The greatest love song is "At Last". It speaks of a lifetime of searching and finally finding someone.

Feb. 14 2011 09:26 AM
Jane Turbov from Chicago

One old favorite is "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot sung by Robert Goulet

Feb. 14 2011 09:09 AM
Juanita from Texas

My favorite bitter swee dark chocolate love song of all times is Joni Mitchell's Case of You. I heard it first when I was 16 and didn't know what love was but it still blew me away. Decades later, Diana Krall's arrangement blew me away again.

Feb. 14 2011 09:07 AM

Good songs: (And I've always found that I have different songs associated with different paramours.)

U2- One
Billy Vera and the Beaters- At This Moment
Wings- Silly Love Songs
Jefferson Starship's Miracles (mentioned above)
James Taylor- You've got a Friend
Marvin Gaye- Distant Lover
Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher
Joni Mitchell- Help Me
The Beatles and the Bee Gees have a few...

Bad songs: (more overplayed, really)
Box Tops - the Letter
Madonna- Crazy for You
John Mellancamp- Jack and Diane

Feb. 14 2011 09:04 AM
Ian Spiridigliozzi from Queens NY

Best love songs ever!

1. Julia by the Beatles:

2. Some other Time by X:

3. Ain't that Lovin' You Baby by Link Wray:

4. Bold as Love by Jimi Hendrix:

5. Tired of Waiting by the Kinks:

Feb. 14 2011 08:19 AM
Michael from Rockland County

Obviously, the best love song is "Do You Love Me?" from Fiddler On The Roof. Completely funny in its understatement about what love REALLY is.

Feb. 14 2011 08:08 AM
Peg

Best Love Song - "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship - 7 minutes of swirling and dancing with my valentine!

Feb. 14 2011 07:47 AM
Curtiss Manker-Seale from Tucson

Worst Love Song: Muscrat Love, especially the synthesized sexy muscratty sounds at the end of the song. And, I HAVE to hear the song several times a week on MUZAK where I work. Yuk

Feb. 14 2011 06:32 AM