Monday's question of the day: What are the contradictions in your life?

Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:00 AM

Do you need a cigarette after telling the kids not to smoke? Or are you a New Yorker with an SUV? What are the contradictions in your life? Share your answer by clicking "get in the mix", by emailing mytake@thetakeaway.org, or by calling our SpinVox line at 1-877-8-MY-TAKE.

Contributors:

John Hockenberry and Adaora Udoji

More in:

dave

yep, the list is incomplete - a copy/paste error. but the observation is still accurate. look for yourself.

May. 20 2008 08:21 AM
dave

Contradictions? How about the contradiction that The Takeaway lists the "most commented" blog as one with a whopping 9 comments, while the number two slot in the category has over 200 comments. The other contradiction? The Takeaway is a "news" show??

1. Guest Blogger David Wall Rice: White Morehouse valedictorian not "slumming it"

2. Mornings need a make over. What would you change?

3. The Takeaway for May 19, 2008

4. Your photos: The cubicle turns 40

5. "A Jihad for Love" director films the lives of gay and lesbian Muslims in documentary

May. 20 2008 08:20 AM
DeirdreC

My contradiction is listening to The Takeaway, a morning show, in the afternoon; and listening online because it's not available live in Chicago where I live. I have listened religiously everyday since it aired...and I'm already a fan. With regard to the previous "off-topic" postings in this section: I say kudos to the Takeaway for being brave enough to break with the previously established "gospel-ized" formats of radio epitomized by Morning Edition and the commercial radio shows. Now people like me have a third option to obtain news and information tempered with conversation and opinion. Growing pains are only to be expected but I want to say Bravo and Brava to all concerned.

May. 19 2008 04:42 PM
enoch needles

My question of the day (Monday). It's now 4:24PM on Monday and there are only 8 comments (counting this one) in "the mix" (their lack of capitals, not mine, Mark). And of those, only 1 actually answers the question. Must have been a short segment.

May. 19 2008 04:27 PM
J. Duffy

I do agree that the Takeaway format is just rushed and sloppy. This morning's fascinating discussion with "A Jihad for Love" director Parvez Sharma was so hurried! Both hosts tried to butt in several times, to say "we're out of time" and this segment could have easily gone on for at least 10 more minutes. More time is devoted to promoting the insulting and ominiously Republican-sounding "Responsibility Project" than to actual content with interesting people who actually have something to say.

May. 19 2008 12:26 PM
missing the point

You're missing the point, Mark. By posting in the wrong thread, the intellectuals are demonstrating exactly how to be brainy and stupid at the same time - a classic contradiction

[[Comment partially removed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. - http://www.thetakeaway.org/about/comment_guidelines.html]]

May. 19 2008 10:24 AM
Mark Jeffries

Posts 1 and 3 are off topic.

May. 19 2008 10:08 AM
Duncan

How can John Bolton sit there and say..what about the neighbors? Why haven’t they done anything?

That is ridiculous, if you are in a crowd and someone is having a heart attack and the whole group knows CPR….Does that mean that if you are in the back of the crowd and no one is helping, does that mean its ok for you with your knowledge of CPR to stay out of the situation?

NO.. ethically you are required to help. I am considerably disappointed by Mr. Bolton’s attitude. How incredibly isolationist.

May. 19 2008 09:11 AM

WC2B 4PH. UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7240 3456
Fax: (+44) 020 7557 1258
Email: worldservice@bbc.co.uk

May. 19 2008 07:22 AM
Jason

I have been changing a lot of things in my life to be more green. I have changed lightbulbs, made the thermostat higher in the summer and lower in the winter, actively recycle, watch water consumption closely, try to use natural products, and am currently on the market to buy a more gas efficient automobile. However, I do note that if I look at my mutual funds and stocks, that my retirement is probably being funded by various companies who say they are green, and others who clearly are not green. To some extent in my retirement plan, choices that are green are not even available, or that I might not even have the time to figure out all the stocks that are within the funds and what their environmental profile is... frustrating.

May. 18 2008 09:02 PM
Sammy

Those of us who are truly at odds with this program should consider writing/calling/emailing the BBC and The New York Times, the two major partners in this awful endeavour. Perhaps some pressure from these parties will, if not kill the show, will push it in a more intelligent direction. As it is, it's truly an insult to the intelligence of listeners. Infotainment is something that belongs on commercial talk stations, not public radio.

May. 18 2008 07:55 PM