Airlines Struggle to Mop Up Blizzard's Delays

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Unclaimed bags in the foreground as travelers retrieve their luggage at New York's LaGuardia Airport on December 28, 2010. (DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty)

We’ve been reporting on the devastating East Coast snowstorms all week, hearing your stories and seeing your photos. Today we take a look at how the blizzard has affected post-holiday travel. Yesterday, hundreds of passengers bound for Vancouver sat on the tarmac at JFK Airport in New York for over 11 hours — and that’s not the only horror story circulating between airline terminals.

Joining us to discuss why the airlines have had such a difficult time dealing with the blizzard is Barbara Peterson, Senior Aviation Correspondent at Condé Nast Traveler.

Also with us is Nageeb Sumar, a traveler who is still trying to get to Phoenix. He was supposed to arrive there on Sunday.

Barbara Peterson and Nageeb Sumar

Jillian Weinberger

international jet

Snow and flying just don't mix.

Apr. 10 2012 06:52 AM
Charles

I'm glad I'm not the only listener who was taken aback by John Hockenberry's casual presumption that a major blizzard that closed a dozen airports can be adressed by "new government regulations."

I'd very much like to know how much of the current problem is the result of the Airline Passengers' Bill of Rights, which does nothing so much as encourage airlines to issue preemptive blanket cancellations of flights rather than risk the possibility of massive fines if they encounter significant delays.

I might also like to know how much of the current problems with air travel in the Northeast are due to public sector airport employees on the ground not keeping up, as opposed to the private-sector airline employees.

Dec. 29 2010 11:35 AM
ibrahim

my wife and I are heading to the airport AGAIN in Chicago for what is a confirmed flight (no standby's) and God Willing our ticket back to NYC!

Dec. 29 2010 10:07 AM
George from Ft Lauderdale

I'm a appalled by the approach your taking on the blizzard story. For a start, if the airport closes, there is not much an airline can do about it. Secondly, I would prefer, as much as I want to get to my destination, takeoff and land safely.

Yes, the airlines have cut cost and stretched everything so thin to increase profits but they are a public company. A 1-50 snow storm on one of the busiest travel days of the year, I think you have to get rid of the emotions and look at the facts. The lady from Conde Nast tried to do that on your show you wouldn't let her.
I thought I was listening to Fox News!

Dec. 29 2010 09:26 AM
Rob Wyman from Ft. Lauderdale

John:

The good an bad of deregulation is we pay much less for air travel now, and we get much worse service. As long as price is our only consideration when booking travel, service will suffer.

Dec. 29 2010 09:20 AM
Ron from City by the Straits

John - Your approach on the blizzard story is laughable. You seem to think airlines should be able to operate normally when at least 5 major airports on the east coast shut down. How would The Takeaway do with a blackout covering all the studios in Boston, NY, Washington, Philadelphia, etc. Hey, maybe that's not such a bad idea if it would get rid of your blather on this topic.

Dec. 29 2010 09:16 AM