Your Take: Most Hated and Most Loved Holiday Songs

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

We love music on The Takeaway, and we know you do to. So it's no surprise that when we asked, you delivered. A ton of responses this morning to our question: What are your most loved or most hated holiday songs?

Wallace Graham in Brighton Beach, N.Y., had this to say:

The Christmas song I cannot stand to hear is "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." That kid's shrill voice hurts you teeth. Hurts you fillings. Terrible.

David from Fla. had this take:

I love Christmas music, but I'm an atheist, which is double weird. So my favorite song is "I Pray on Christmas" by Harry Connick Jr. It's a really good song.

Jen Poyant

Robert Grant from Boston

My two favorite Christmas songs that truly capture the spirit of the season for me:

A Christmas Carol by Tom Lehrer

Blue Xmas (To Whom It May Concern) by Bob Dorough, Miles Davis and Gil Evans

Dec. 22 2010 09:54 AM
Mark R. from Monmouth Beach, ,NJ

Peggy Lee's "Jingle Bells" is great rendition, My kids all loved it.
They still do.
Mitch MILLER Sing-A-Longs transport me right back to the late 60s, and Christmas Eve's at our home. The relatives would all be singing along with the albums playing on the console stereo. Happy memories.

Dec. 21 2010 09:13 PM
SJC from Boston

My two faves are Celebrate Me Home -- Kenny Loggins and The Rebel Jeasus -- Jackson Browne.
I hate anything by overdone female yellers and that damn barking dog thing.

Dec. 21 2010 04:34 PM
Greg Case from Duxbury, MA

There are many great Christmas Songs, but the one that makes me feel like swinging is; Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"

Dec. 21 2010 10:06 AM
Tanya from NJ

the comment about the dog jingle bells reminded me of a toy we were given by a friend. it sang song as a dog, frog, and many other animals. hated it! we gave it away. I had wondered why the name on it wasn't the name of the kid we got it from!

Dec. 21 2010 10:03 AM
seantp

There are many songs I come to hate every year because they are so over played. I was looking to hear something new so I made a great Christmas Blues playlist on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DD07CD3733072BDE I even wrote my own song Blue, Blue Christmas. Love or Hate?

Dec. 21 2010 09:00 AM