What Can Get You Fired?

Monday, November 15, 2010 - 09:57 AM

At some workplaces, it's sleeping on the job. At others, it's leaking newsWhat is a sackable offense at your place of work?

We talk about this on Tuesday's show with Lewis Maltby, President of the National Workrights Institute and we started the conversation early, here. Send us your firing stories!

Tags:

More in:

Zach from Farmington Hills, MI

Holding a sign saying "it's wrong to create a mortgage-backed security filled with loans you know are going to fail so that you can sell it to a client who isn't aware that you sabotaged it by intentionally picking the misleadingly rated loans most likely to be defaulted upon" at an OWS rally is apparently enough to get you fired.

Oct. 31 2011 03:58 PM
By text from Salt Lake City, Utah

Flagrant violations of safety rules. That is the fastest way out of the mine where i work. It makes me feel safer knowing it, too.

Nov. 16 2010 11:26 AM
By text from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

What happens when people get fired is simple they can't do the job or get along with a group that has to produce, or there is no structure, no road, if you will to drive down in the given vehicle.

Nov. 16 2010 11:20 AM
By text from Worcester, Mass.

After 8 years I was pushed out after having children. We were on annual contracts. They increased hours after my 1st and 2nd maternity leave until I left.

Nov. 16 2010 11:19 AM

They put me on some false "improvement plan" for not meeting my call quota or the new "performance matrix's" then they had me train another employee from Gurgaon, India where they own another office building, and after I trained this person, they send MY job there with her and then let me go for NOT meeting the criteria of false "IP".

Nov. 15 2010 03:13 PM

I lost my job in a call center of a major Fortune 500 company where I was hired and doing great and getting commendations while they were privately owned. After their first initial IPO, they changed things like our call quotas, and took away our benefits. Then they put me on some lame ass and false "improvement plan" for not meeting my call quota or the companies new "performance matrix's" then they had me train another employee from Gurgaon, India where they own another office building, and after I trained this person, they send MY job there with her and then let me go for NOT meeting the criteria of false "IP". It's just a way of getting rid of you for cheaper labor and not having to be accountable for it.

Nov. 15 2010 03:11 PM
Hemingway from New Jersey

Sometimes bosses will fire you for some technical lapse (like mistakes on expense accounts) which are just excuses that they can back with HR, when in fact they just don't like you, but can't fire you for that reason.

Nov. 15 2010 02:48 PM
By text from Nashville, Tenn.

2 words: getting pregnant.

Nov. 15 2010 02:35 PM
By text from Michigan

I got fired for being too slow.

Nov. 15 2010 02:35 PM
By text from Denver, Colo.

Nothing, I work for a municipality. It has to be horrid to the point of murder.

Nov. 15 2010 02:33 PM
By text from Pontiac, Mich.

Getting fired has just been a matter of numbers lately, driven by the economy. "Right Sizing" they like to call it.

Nov. 15 2010 02:33 PM
By text from Ann Arbor, MI

Bringing in guns.

Nov. 15 2010 02:33 PM
By text from Jersey City, NJ

A dude got fired for smoking cigarettes and talking on his phone all day.

Nov. 15 2010 02:33 PM
Kevin Stebleton from Facebook

Employers don't need a reason - unless they want to avoid unemployment. Unless you have a contract, you may be let go today.

Nov. 15 2010 11:47 AM
Melanie Elin from Facebook

I work in the entertainment industry. When people royally screw up, they get promoted. The ones who do correctly and work their asses off get fired. There is a huge rate of failing upwards in this profession.

Nov. 15 2010 11:47 AM
patricia from facebook

arriving at work still drunk from the nite/morning before

Nov. 15 2010 11:21 AM
Tyrone Thorpe from Facebook

Petty stuff.

Nov. 15 2010 10:39 AM
Ilmari Thornton from Facebook

Using meth to stay awake during the graveyard shift.

Nov. 15 2010 10:38 AM
James Ellsworth from Facebook

Employers are enjoying their control over employees. I know of a company that is so petty, they are terminating all their long time employees and hiring newbies for less. Things are going to get worse before they get better; if they ever do!

Nov. 15 2010 10:37 AM