Nora Ephron on Divorce and Memory

Monday, November 15, 2010

For nearly fifty years Nora Ephron has been writing about marriage, divorce, family, love and death — in essays and movies that have become popular for their insight and wit about relationships, including “When Harry Met Sally,” “Heartburn,” “Sleepless in Seattle,” and “Julie and Julia.”

Ephron has a new collection of essays out now called “I Remember Nothing.” She’s also the editor of the Huffington Post’s new section on divorce. She talks with us about her new projects, and the inspiration behind them.

You've been telling us your thoughts on marriage, Is it worth the effort?

Nora Ephron

Kristen Meinzer

Cupcake from Brooklyn

Myrna Loy said it best in "The Best Years of Our Lives,""We never had any trouble. How many times have I told you I hated you and believed it in my heart? How many times have you said you were sick and tired of me, that we were all washed up? How many times have we had to fall in love all over again?"

Nov. 15 2010 09:03 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Also note that statistics show that couples that live together before marriage have a significantly higher rate of divorce than couples that don't, counter-intuitively.

Nov. 15 2010 08:59 AM
Ed from Larchmont

The statistics I've seen say that couples who stick it out, five years later, are pretty happy, so it's a reason to stick it out.

Nov. 15 2010 08:54 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Natural family planning couples have a divorce rate of less than 5 percent.

Nov. 15 2010 08:41 AM
Sydney from Detroit

I got married in May, and my husband and I were together for sixteen years before that. If it hadn't been for the economy and wanting to have him put on my insurance, we would never have bothered. Neither one of us ever needed a piece of paper to validate our relationship; it's too bad that society still believes otherwise.

Nov. 15 2010 07:29 AM

Christine,
While it's certainly a more complicated picture, as this Time Magazine article suggests. However, it does quote a recent Penn State sociologist's report that "the half-of-all-marriages-end-badly figure still 'appears to be reasonably accurate'."
-Jim
(Digital Editor)

Article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1989124,00.html

Nov. 15 2010 07:24 AM
Christine Freitas from Rochester, MA

John and Celeste,
The marriage statistic you quote is not true and I wish people would stop throwing it around, especially for our children's sake. The 50% stat is for people who get married young and who do not have a college education. Check the facts.

Nov. 15 2010 07:13 AM