Finding the 'Vast Ocean of a Million Stories' in the Atlantic

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Try to imagine the world two hundred million years ago, when the earth's original landmass began to break apart into the continents that we know today. That moment made way for the mighty Atlantic ocean.

Author, geologist and journalist Simon Winchester fell in love with the Atlantic when he made his first trans-Atlantic voyage in the early 1960s. That voyage inspired his latest book: "Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms,and a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories."

Kristen Meinzer

Amanda Morningstar from Pennsylvania

From the time I was 8-years-old until I was 19 I spent every summer on my dad's lobster boat off the coast of Maine. I remember the blistering sunburns, naming the seagulls with my brother, and playing puppet theatre with dead fish. Most memorably, however, is my father's "Downeast" wit and stories of lobstering through the generations. I learned a great deal of life skills and wisdom on that tiny lobster boat. The Atlantic ocean is my childhood playground.

Nov. 11 2010 11:33 PM
Mark Carbone from Troy, MI.

I was a Plane Captain for F-14 Tomcats on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (USN).
We were going from the N.E. Coast of North America to the straights of Gibraltar.
For about an entire week we went thru a storm that had waves so high they would come inside one hangar bay door and go out the other one. I think thats about 50' or so. They closed the doors real quick, but it was a trip. One time we were about Three days out from Portugal and we came across Two passed out girls in a small catamaran. My guess is they were becalmed and drifted out to sea. aunched a helicopter, rescued 'em, left that liitle boat where it was a continued on our way. boy were they lucky. - Mark "The Shark".
VF-142, CVN-69.

Nov. 10 2010 10:05 AM
Ben from Detroit Metropolitan

Celeste! with all this talk about the Atlantic Ocean I would have thought that you would remember your time in MI and the Edmund "Fitz". 29 souls on Nov 10th. People don't always realize it, but the Great lakes has the highest concentration of ship wreaks any where in the world.

Nov. 10 2010 10:03 AM
maureen from Detroit

Celeste, you lived in Michigan, you should know that if you are in the middle of Lake Huron, Superior, or Michigan, you can't see land. On another note, the best and worst trip I took was from Miami to Charleston in an angry Gulf Stream on a 35' sailboat. Never so seasick. But once the weather cleared, the dolphins were awesome. and the Atlantic was fun to sail on, sliding on the waves after the storm.

Nov. 10 2010 09:59 AM
Howard Hight from Grafton MA

During the early 50's my Father was a Canadian immigration officer. We were posted to Great Britain, specifically Belfast and then London.
We crossed the Atlantic 4 times. The most memorable trip was out of NY on the Queen Mary. ( the original one.). It was the last crossing of the season.
This late date resulted in us being in the biggest storm the ship had ever been in at that time.
Seven portholes in a row were smashed in by the waves. Our cabin was the the eighth. My bunk was just under that window.
One night my Father was the only passenger who was not ill and he made it to the first class dining room. He ordered salmon. When it was placed before him, there were no more passengers in that dining room.
I can still hear the creaking of that massive ship as we were tossed around like a cork on the water

Nov. 10 2010 09:39 AM

The Missile over So. Cal. Okay, saw the video, what is the object traveling perpendicular to the contrail? The big object traveling accross the sky on the right side of the screen. Was the missile a warning to that object or just a miss?

Nov. 10 2010 07:43 AM