What Book Would You Write For Your Child?

Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:36 AM

After she became pregnant with her daughter, Tanya Simon went looking for books to share with the new member of her family. That's when she realized: there weren't very many fictional young black heroines in children's literature. So Simon sat down with friend Victoria Bond and wrote a story she thought her daughter would enjoy: "Zora and Me."

The book, which tells a fictional account of a young Zora Neale Hurston as a girl detective in her Florida hometown, was the kind of young adult literature Simon wished existed for her daughter. We're asking listeners: What book would you write for your own children? Is there a group or a person who you feel is underrepresented, or a story you think is missing from the bookstore shelves?

Tags:

More in:

Peg

I'd like to write a childrens' book about how to address Global Warming issues and fears with their parents who are uncertain and afraid of the future.

Nov. 09 2010 07:33 AM
Beth from Manhattan

I have two young daughters who happen to have 2 Moms. I'd love to see more books that don't focus on the difference in our family but how we are just the same...whatever the story narrative...even in young childrens books having family illustrations with 2 Moms and kids ...not that it's the focus just part of the everyday life of interesting characters for children.

Nov. 08 2010 01:53 PM
Sandy Sanders from Eatontown, NJ

I recently self-published my 1st children's book. The intent of publishing the book wasn't to cover an underexposed topic, but instead to get my children involved in a family project. Many people are intimidated about following their dreams of publishing a book, and many kids feel that books are those "things written by big people." I know because I've done readings in libraries, bookstores, and schools and get that very feedback from my audience. My kids who are now 7 and 8 helped me with my illustrations, and with the success of our 1st book that was picked up by Barnes and Noble, we are now working on our 2nd book and the kids couldn't be more excited. They realize that things seemingly out of reach sometimes aren't, and the elementary kids I read to widely open their eyes when they know that KIDS had a hand in creating a published book.

Nov. 07 2010 09:08 PM
David

One of my favorite children's novels, The True Meaning of Smekday, features a young black girl as the heroine. Her name is Gratuity. But everyone calls her Tip.

Nov. 07 2010 04:07 PM
K Webster from New York City

I love this report!
I wrote a 7 year old's version of a few chapters of "A People's History of the United States" because my nephew was getting a biased history of our country in school at the time. It came in handy with my own son years later. It was challenging to write about brutal events for a young child (hint: no details and couched in plain language they can understand). I worked to counteract misinformation and I prefaced chapters with a perspective that was hopeful while offering reasons as to why people become hurtful. Every parent needs to find positive events and practice telling their child all the good things that have happened historically. And practice telling children about inhuman events without unawarely using them as a sounding board for our own upset. Not easy! Best if you can practice with other parents!!

Nov. 06 2010 10:56 AM

i think children are sensitive .so we just write the book very carefully for children. what they are want just give them.

Nov. 06 2010 04:33 AM